Mothers deserve to be treated wonderfully throughout the year, but on Mother’s Day, it’s nice for them to be able to enjoy a special treat. We can’t think of very many things that would be more special for the holiday than to wake up to a sweet morning treat, and a yummy coffee drink (of course, waking up to the company of loved ones beats most anything)!
Read on for two delicious treats to make mom: Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake, and a Caramel Latte to boot.
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
For the crumb topping and swirl
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup organic sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup pure coconut oil
For the cake
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil, plus two tablespoons for greasing
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 8x8-inch baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Mix the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar together in a small cup. Set aside to curdle.
- Make topping and cinnamon swirl by combining flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir in coconut oil with a fork. Using your fork, or your fingers, work topping ingredients together until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare your cake by beating milk mixture, sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well incorporated, but do not over-mix.
- Pour cake batter into greased pan. Sprinkle a full handful of topping mixture onto cake batter. Swirl into batter with a knife until well incorporated.
- Spread rest of topping onto the top of cake batter until all batter is covered. Lightly press topping down into batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, checking to see if cake is done. If a knife inserted into batter comes out clean, remove cake. If not, cook for five additional minutes.
- Remove cake from oven when cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes, and cut into 8 squares. Enjoy! (makes 8 servings) **Note – Variations of this Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake can include swirling raspberry jam into the batter instead of the topping mix, or using brewed coffee as a liquid instead of the non-dairy milk.
To go with your Mother’s Day Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake, prepare this sweet and rich Caramel Latte!
For caramel sauce
- 6 medjool dates (pitted)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 4 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (organic soy milk or full-fat coconut milk tastes best)
- 2 cups brewed espresso
- Prepare caramel sauce by soaking dates in 3/4 cup hot water for 10 minutes. Add dates, water, 4 tablespoons coconut milk, and vanilla to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Froth non-dairy milk with a cappuccino frother that has a hot steam function, or heat milk in a pan and whisk until frothy. While you are frothing, brew 2 cups of espresso.
- Pour espresso into two latte mugs. Top with frothed non-dairy milk. Drizzle prepared caramel on top. Sweeten, if desired, and enjoy! (serves 2)
*Note – Variations on this Caramel Latte can include a Salted Caramel Latte with sea salt sprinkled on top, or a Mocha Latte by adding 1 tablespoon of cacao powder to both the caramel sauce and the non-dairy milk. If you’re not going to drink your Caramel Latte right away, you can also pour it into a thermos and serve it over ice when you’re ready.
Enjoy these sweets and coffee drinks, and Happy Mother’s Day!