Tips and Tricks for the Coffee Lover Who Travels
Traveling can be an exciting experience for any coffee lover. After all, coffee is made from different types of beans and prepared different ways all over the world, and traveling is a great way to sample more than just what you can get at home.
But not everywhere you want to travel has great coffee, and even if they do, you can only spend so much of your travel budget on fancy foreign cafes. At the same time, just because you’re away from home doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to enjoy your daily coffee. In that spirit, here are some tips for making sure you always get your coffee fix when you’re on the road for travel.
How to Bring Great Coffee Wherever You Go
The only way to be sure you can enjoy your favorite coffee every day, no matter where you are, is to bring it along with you – but you have to have a way to make it. The secret that coffee enthusiasts use to make sure they always have great coffee wherever they go is called the AeroPress.
This is a compact coffee and espresso maker that uses total immersion and gentle pressure to make pure, micro-filtered coffee that you can store for days. The trick is to get the travel bag, so you can easily carry your AeroPress anywhere in the world you may want to travel. Make sure you also get all of the accessories like the funnel, stirrer, and filters.
If you’re serious about your coffee, you’ll probably be bringing whole beans coffee along, which means you’ll want to take along a hand mill. There are plenty of good ones on the market, like the Hario Slim Mill. You’ll also want a 12-ounce stainless steel pitcher, and a small immersion water heater to heat up your water for your brew.
How to Make Travel Coffee
To make your delicious travel coffee anywhere and anytime:
- Start by filling your pitcher with water. Then immerse your water heater in the water and plug it in.
- Grind your coffee beans with the hand mill while the water heats.
- Once the water is boiling, unplug the heater, wait about a minute, and remove it from the water.
- Assemble the AeroPress upside-down without the cap or filter. Put the funnel in and then put in two scoops of your ground beans.
- Then pour in the hot water until you have almost filled the chamber.
- Stir once and let steep for a minute. Then put a filter in the cap, screw the cap on, quickly and carefully flip the AeroPress over, place it over your pitcher and press down, pushing your brew into the pitcher.
That’s all it takes! In minutes, you’ll have great coffee, no matter where you may be traveling. Just pour from the pitcher into your favorite mug, and it’s coffee time.
Enjoying Coffee Anywhere and Everywhere
While this method will allow you to enjoy your preferred coffee anywhere you go, if you are traveling to different lands, you should probably try the local coffee at least once. You may be surprised how much the taste of coffee varies from place to place, and you may discover a new taste you fall in love with. Remember, you can always go back to your preferred blend.